Grey Friar,wild camp June 2018


And the long summer ! of 2018 runs on,its been scorchee ohh in the Lakes for 6 wks now making for hot work when climbing hills with a rucksack.I had a family barbaque to get back to so i left home at 7-50 and at 8-30 am i was pulling on my trainers at the bottom of Conistons Youth hostel track



It was just 18c by the time i left the car so it was a slow walk up making it up as i went along, these falls are often just looked down on,being by the first bridge as you climb up into the Copper mines valley,a minutes walk down shows them in all there beauty











Although these first pictures dont really show it water is drying up in the Lakes with many streams and tarns dried up,this furry critter was enjoying one of the rare watered grass patches 



By Ten it was already 24c so i filtered and drank another litre, with the water levels being low and bits ive read recently im planning on filtering more of my water.





I followed a path up behing tht cottages and then followed an old water way round towards Levers water








Levers water was lower than ive ever seen it,i walked in to my knees to cool down then i had a look at some more of the old workings 





Not sure why but i decided to make my way up the left hand side peak,Raven Tor and then up onto Brim fell 








There were thunder storms forcast,luckily they never arrived but i did get my first rain shower in nearly 2 months 





From Brim fell i walked along to Swirl how then over  Great carrs and down to Little carrs,then skirted back to the col below Grey Friar.I hunted round and filled up all my water containers and had a good drink before making my way up to camp on Grey Friar 





Im really liking the A frame set up ive used these last few camps,made possible by me fitting two new lower section of pole,from some Liki Aergeron donner poles ...credit to Dave for finding the poles





It was roasting even up here, luckily i managed to pitch into a little breeze, by 8 pm it had cooled a little so i had my tea,another new one supplied by Basecamp foods.Move over Bla-Bland i now have a new favorite...








I watched the scenes around me and read a little then made my way back to the summit to watch the sunset 
































As soon as the sun went down the temp dropped to a nice 14c and the lambs went mental, they were chasing each other all over the place and jumping over anything they could find ..the cooler weather was much nicer for us all 








I took the below pics around 11-30 pm the temp now a delightful 9c 











I woke around 4-15 am but couldnt be bothered to go look at the dawn and enjoyed another 45 mins in the cooler temps 








Looking over there was a bit of a heat haze/inversion towards the Hellvelyn range 









The Scafells always looks stunning to me form this view point 




















I walked back up to Swirl how then down the Prison band and up onto Black sails summit














I choose to walk down the Red Dell valley and was shocked to see this boulder,which recently must have left the cliffs above ! Glad i wasnt any where nearby 











I watched these moths ? for a while before choosing to have a good cool down in one of the pools, they were a blue like colour 








Many have seen the crash site up on Great Carrs of the Halifax bomber that came down many years ago,for many years the engine lay where the wreckage was pushed, into the scree off Broad Slack 


Several years ago they lifted the engine out and brought it down to the Ruskin museum in Coniston village 



Im planning on getting out again on Thursday/Friday night so ill post this up as is and see if i get time to do the video footage before then
 Thanks for looking and safe travels Peter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Crainlarich Munros Day 3 & 4 Xmid2 and Trailstar shelters

A circuit of Seathwaite,wild camp...Mld Solomid,Duomid,Scarp 1 ..

The Crainlarich Munros Day 1 & 2 Xmid2 & Trailstar shelter